Discover Harghita County, Romania – Red Lake, Bicazului Gorges, Harghita Grove, Mikó Castle, Miercurea Ciuc …
In Harghita there are many tourist attractions for nature lovers. Some of the most common sights are:
– The Red lake formed naturally and is located at the foot of Hășmașu Mare in a fairy tale landscape. The lake is relatively young, and it was formed after the fall of a mountain peak, on a date not exactly known, but most probably in 1837 or 1838. Following the formation of the lake a flooded forest appeared. The petrified trees formed a unique landscape. Red Lake is the largest mountain lake in Romania and it is a recreational area and place of departure for hiking on mountain trails in the area.
– Sfânta Ana Lake is a volcanic lake, in fact the only one of its kind in Romania. This Lake has an area of over 19 hectares, and was formed in the crater of a volcano that last erupted thousands of years ago. Sfânta Ana Lake has no springs, and it is majorly fed by precipitation. Sfânta Ana Lake is a nature reserve of geological kind and also of flora and fauna. There are several trails for nature lovers linking the lake to other sights nearby.
– Bicazului Gorge – is a part of the Natural Park Bicazului Gorge – Hăşmaş and it is partly located in this county. On the 8 km length of gorge, there is an amazing landscape, climbing routes and trails.
– Harghita Grove – is a protected natural area of 2 hectares located in Lueta. The aim is to protect the marshy area where there are several species of rare plants.
– Daffodil Glade near Vlăhiţa is a protected area thanks to the white daffodils and other rare plant species.
One of the most well-known locations of Harghita is Salina Praid. Visitors come here to admire the saline scenery. The healing properties of saline environment is beneficial to a wide range of respiratory diseases.
Tușnad Resort is famous for its mineral waters. The potential of its mineral waters and the subalpine climate make wonders in treating of several diseases, particularly of cardiovascular and nervous system.
Borsec is a location that everyone knows mainly due to the mineral water bottled here. If you arrive at Borsec you can visit the Ice Cave, Fairy Glade or Owl Citadel and in winter you can enjoy skiing facilities.
Most of Harghita’s mineral springs (around 700) are in Bilbor village. Besides the benefits of the 17 springs of mineral water, people coming here can also enjoy the beauty of the trails crossing the area.
Harghita – Mădăraș – is a very popular holiday location especially in the cold season, thanks to its ski slopes.
The county seat, Miercurea Ciuc was attested in 1558, but its history is much longer as shown by traces of Dacian fortresses discovered in Jigodin (city district). In the city there are many cultural sights, ones of them historical monuments. One of the most famous monuments is the Miko Castle which houses the Szekler Museum of Ciuc.
Miercurea Ciuc music festival is held annually in June, and for over 30 years, public participation to the concerts has been free.